As daily ablutions are implied, the image must have been made of main shrine of a small temple.
Shiva and Parvati are standing side by side, passing an arm on each other’s shoulder in an embrace. Shiva’s face is carved in three quarter profile as he looks at the face of Parvati. Out of other three hands, his two upper hands hold the trident and the damaru, while his lower right hand holds an aksharamala. Parvati holds a lotus in her left hand. Richly ornamented figurer, with jatabhara of Shiva and coiffure of Parvati, make them appear lke a royal couple. The family is completed with miniature Ganapati and Kumara seated on his mound peacock, on either side at the bottom of the parikara. Shiva’s mount Nandi and Ganesha’s vehicle, the mushaka, are carved in front of the pedestal. This is simplification of the earlier lotus pedestals which now take the shape of ordinary furniture.
The Kanarese inscription on the pedestal states that the image was a gift of Revakabbarasi, the wife of Vavanarasa, a feudatory of the western Chalukya king Jayasimha II (1015 – 42 CE)
On display in Sculpture Gallery
Published in Jewels on the Crescent